During winter, skin comes under attack from the cold air and harsh wind causing the skin to lose its moisture. It can become dry and itchy.
Even if your skin is oily or combination, all skin types can suffer from these outdoor effects. Other indoor culprits meanwhile include indoor central heating, stoves and fireplaces which can be damaging and lead to dry, cracking and flaky skin.
Protecting skin, however, helps it to both look healthy and perform its natural barrier functions effectively. Good skincare is about being seasonal, but it is more than using sun cream in summer and moisturiser in winter; to properly care for skin throughout the different seasons you need to understand it:
- Stay moisturised. Keeping skin hydrated is the most important thing throughout winter, as its harsh conditions strip the skin of natural oils. You should therefore choose an effective, emollient moisturiser to replace the moisture your skin will lose, and because it will form a protective layer on the skin.
- Moisturise more than usual. During winter once a day won’t do. Moisturise twice a day to combat constant drying of the skin and always moisturise as soon after washing as possible, as this traps more moisture into skin’s cells.
- Always use sunscreen. Most people make the mistake of thinking sunscreen is just for summer. However, UV rays contribute to winter skin damage too, therefore it is best to stay protected with a sunscreen all year round. Using a minimum of SPF15 helps to prevent skin from wrinkles, age spots and even skin cancer during winter months. Jan Marini Daily Face Protectant SPF30contains phytomelanin plant extract which offers excellent UV and antioxidant protection.
- Double the amount of water you usually drink. Hydrate from the inside out, doubling the amount of water you usually drink. Wearing more layers of clothing, and sweating more leads to moisture loss so drinking plenty of water helps supply the skin with adequate moisture to make up for this loss.
- Avoid Hot Water. Coming in from the cold outside, it can be tempting to take a hot shower to warm up. However, this can actually damage the skin. So take care to ensure water is lukewarm to avoid hot showers stripping the skin of its natural oils.
- Use a good toner before moisturising. To help enhance the benefits of your moisturiser, using an alcohol free toner will prepare the skin before you moisturise by using active ingredients to nourish it. Jan Marini Bioglycolic Facial Cleanser contains glycolic acid which acts as a two in one gentle cleanser but removes the need for a toner by deep-cleansing with a follicular agent and doing the job of a toner in preparing the skin for other product applications, at the same time as cleansing.
- Exfoliate 2-3 times a week. Exfoliating gets rid of dry skin and helps the moisturiser to work more effectively. Therefore, doing this a few times a week will help achieve softer skin despite the harsh elements drying it out and, along with the toner, will help maximise the use of your moisturiser.
- Jan Marini Clean Zyme Cleanser and Skin Zyme Mask provide home care exfoliation for improvement in skin’s firmness and appearance as well as accelerating the benefits of moisturisers and other surface products.
- Encourage skin to repair overnight by using an overnight rejuvenation product, such as Jan Marini Transformation Face Cream. A repair product will help skin to recover from the damaging daily effects of winter, rebuilding damaged cells overnight for younger, more radiant skin.
- Use a creamy healing mask once a week after exfoliating. Keep up the routine of clearing dead skin cells away and trapping in moisture with a weekly mask for deep penetrating healing and revitalising properties.
Jan Marini is one of the most influential people in the skincare industry with a carefully developed range of products aimed at improving all skin types and conditions, using researched technologies and potent formulations.
Effortless Skin is the UK’s leading supplier of cosmeceutical skincare, including Jan Marini. Its team of cosmeceutical skincare specialists are committed to helping clients with a range of needs and conditions, using the best products available on the market.
Visit www.effortlessskin.com for more information.
We would love to hear your thoughts.
Feel free to comment below.